September 9, 2009

37 inches

Here is another poem of mine, written two days ago during our noisy MAPEH time. My classmates were watching Antigone as I am mute and thinking. 37 inches seems to be small distance, but if it is your distance to someone you admire, I have never thought of this before, but it really seems like a mile.

Winter nights have never been this frigid and cold;
Loneliness have increased a hundred thousand-fold.
You're present in my sights but so far from my touch:
37 inches, this seems to be so much!

The bright smile on your face shines brightly from afar;
Your happiness glimmer like a small distant star.
Oh yes, it is distant, and I can't get a grasp:
37 inches, the measure of the gap!

To all the jokes, I laugh; to all the fun, I cheer;
And though you are so far, I think that you are near.
Through the great distance, I try to show a smile:
37 inches, oh it feels like a mile!

At the table you stare, to you I stare behind.
Shall I wink or approach or present you a sign?
The gap, unbearable; the space, I cannot grab.
37 inches, hoe can I show my love?

***THE END***

No comments: