February 12, 2009

The Collector's Luck II

(I was sleepy at this time already. so, don't be a complainant with regards to m grammar) :)

Anyways, whether I like it or not, I will compete. (It is a plus grade in my extra curricular! J) We went to our Principal, Mr. Antonio, and gave me the “basbas” (I don’t know how to translate it to English! Haha) to go and compete. I was doomed! He didn’t even stopped Mrs. Quillao from picking me! Instead, he put more pressure on my body’s pressure chamber. “You can do it. You have already proved yourself by being the best debater,” he said.

What? Is what he said for real? Is it really it? Won’t he stop Ma’am Quillao? No turning back, I guess. No one hesitated to recruit me! Huhu.. Poor little Kenneth.

Fast forward, (coz it is taking too long to type this one), we were now at AUF. While on the jeepney, my heart was pumping irregularly. And when I was standing in front of AUF’s dominating white gate, in front of the tall edifice, my diastole and systole was being accompanied by a third part, “nervoustole”, which only visits me when I am really, really nervous.

We entered the gates, where I will be soon sentenced to my death. Our coach talked to the guard and asked if we can enter. The guards on AUF are friendly, and to compare with those guards on our school’s gate, they are much stricter and unfriendly. They are hostile enemies in a battlefield of cement. Even putting one of your finger in your ear just to scratch some unnecessary dirt out is not allowed to them, and I’m still wondering why.

After passing through the hall where the names of their topnotchers are placed, we turned left and climbed more than 50 steps of stairs to the fourth floor, where St. Cecilia’s Auditorium rests. I remember that place as the venue of the Clash of the IT Wizards where we became the champions! (wooh, boastfulness) But I guess for today, my name and face will be shrouded in great humiliation.

We were late, terribly late. We are 20 minutes out of time, and Filipino time doesn’t usually take its toll for that long (as I have hoped in my Kaakbay field trip). When we reached the last set of stairs and finally captured a vision of the fourth floor, I saw a table, with two students wearing cute t-shirts that say this – AUF Nursing.

We need first to register, but before our coach could finish writing, one old teacher approached me and asked me if I was the participant for the impromptu speech. I said yes and she pulled me while telling me that the contest had already started. I was not able to say any word to them but a farewell, but the didn’t heard it too. L

I entered the auditorium, and the seats were 90% occupied. I walked down the center aisle, getting so paranoid with our unique uniform. On the stage, someone is watching a video, a sign that it has already started. The person watching was a female student from Holy Angel.

The teacher instructed me to get a number and sit on a chair. I picked number 6, and sat beside a male that immediately talked to me after I sat down. He asked from what school I am, and of course, I answered him with the truth.

The participants passed by, and I don’t want to detail it. It may be a sort of libelous. To summarize what happened, I’ll let you read a few sentences.

The topics were peace, global warming, Barack Obama and Janina San Miguel (my family, my family, oh my god!) that was the first time that I watched the whole clip. I was shocked! Is that really like that? I can’t believe it!

Then, the fifth was called, watched his video, and finished his speech

The moment of truth has come, my three heartbeats are pumping out of the pace and over-energized. My heart is running faster than I am! My number was called, and so was my name. She cheerfully asked me to pick a number, from which my video will be based. The man holding the box where I will pick was smiling; I don’t know if that means “good luck” or “bad luck”.

The video was played. All I can see was a blurry image of a woman, who looks like she suffered from severe Down syndrome, talking about something with the help of an unclear, pixelated video clips. The voice was stuttering, and very wobbly.

I heard the word “contraceptives”, which was then followed by the label on the bottom of the screen which says “Reproductive Health Bill”. Goodness! What luck do I have toda! I told to myself. That was just the topic of our debate last October, and I know everything about it! I jst waited for the video to be finished, without organizing my thoughts. I guess that organizing my thoughts is a bad idea, for I will just try to follw them and commit more mistakes which will interrupt the flow of my speech.

I started with a greeting, just like what Sir Antonio said to me. I followed it with an introduction which I remember was this: “I’ll just say one word, SEX, what does it mean to you?”

Those words were not a shocker, for few had reacted with those words. I continued on by discussing what the Reproductive Health Bill is all about, followed by the position of the video with regards to it, and lastly, my side when it comes to the approval of that bill. Just like my side on the debate, I opposed with this bill, because that’s the side I know how to defend.

I finished the speech with a doubting and a wasted look. It seems like that I have done my job, but not as well as my coach would expect. I was in great uncertainty if I will win, but I think the chances are great.

It was lunch! Woohoo! And we went back to the school. Fast forward and there comes the awarding.

The moment of truth has come, and I’m not nervous. If I don’t win, it’s fine with me. It was just my first time, and I have one more year to practice. I have more shots to win the title.

The third place was announced and I was not called. And yet, I have no idea on what the hell is happening. I don’t know that it was impromptu that is being awarded. Then, my name was called. I was not expecting it because I’m still in a state of confusion! I just climbed up the stage, and there I was, innocently posing to a picture-taking moment, with a silver medal wrapped on my neck, that I was never able to realize.

The day had passed. And still, I guess that the luck of the collector being accidentally seen and called was so great. If it’s you who give me luck, thank you.

A collector’s luck seems to work, ay?

No comments: