December 31, 2009

Top 50 Things That Changed My Life This 2009 (Part I)

Top 50 things that changed my 2009
And this is my year-end special. Here are the 50 things that changed my life this 2009… the 50 things that had the most influence, either good or bad, and had the most impact in the course of my life. Starting from January, down to the very last days of December. I'll start from the 40th :D It is all listed here. :D I’ll appreciate you reading this post.

40. Tumblr

Yes, and the 40th spot, and the first to be mentioned in the list is Tumblr. I knew it just a few days now but it’s impact in my life is now highly visible. Tumblr is now my new MWR (Mood Weather Report) where I post my daily log or diary entries. It became my new burnbook where I post everything I think. It replaced Plurk as my daily timeline update beacon. I guess I am getting hooked to Tumblr.

One Tumblr caught my eye even before I joined this. It was kaththecrapout.tumblr.com. I was amazed at how she inserts words artistically into Photoshop, and I envy her T_T haha. That’s why I am on a quest to learn from her styles. I am also addicted to the reblogs of pictures with heartwarming, and sometimes funny quotes or stories. I always get my daily dose of laughs and inspiration at Tumblr. :D

It was also nice customizing my site. (another site, another focus). Woot. Looking forward for more readers.

39. Kuliti
Idk what is the English of this eye infection but the kuliti have wreaked havoc on my face this year. I had five kuliti’s this year if my count is right, shifting from the right eye to the left eye and vice versa from September to November. I have the coolest eyes on the planet with these infection.. the others seem to be bites from creepy crawlies, while the others seem to be just bacterial or viral infection.

The worse of this inflations was the fifth one, when it bulged on the lower eyelid of my left eye. Bulges on the lower eyelid are rare, and if they occur, they are extremely painful and uncomfortable. This made me jerk liters of tears. Every blink is painful, and I almost wanted to keep my eyes open even at sleep. Haha. :D

Anyways, a kuliti became my trademark. It became a usual sight on my face. (and what a trademark?  )

38. Backmasking Frenzy
Nothing gave me goosebumps greater this year than backmasks, which grabs the 38th place in my Top 40 list. To inform everybody, backmasking is a process wherein the songs are played in reverse, (similar to rewinding but in a normal playing speed), that when done so, a hidden message from those twisted deep sound waves becomes audible. The messages are mostly Satanic, vulgar and obscene in nature. Some may tell you to have sex, some may tell you to commit crimes.

There is also this connotation that backmasked message urges you to do things out of your consciousness. Once you get addicted to that song, you get to absorb its backmasked message into a command. If the message tells you to kill somebody, then you’ll be a potential murderer. Creepy ei?!

My frenzy on it rose at its peak around July and August, when me and my classmates go to Youtube to hear backmasked songs. The voice is deep, demonic and horrible, and the lyrics are equally evil as well. I hate it (and as I am typing this, I am having goosebumps.) I never knew that musicians would incorporate such evil things on their songs. Even Eraserheads has one. Goosebumps already? Type on YouTube: Backmask. Even Wikipedia confirms its valid existence.

That’s when I started to dislike Eagles, Beatles and Eraserheads. The reason: their songs. I hate it. Every time I listen to songs, it always gives me the chills that this song might have a hidden message.

37. Gapan, Nueva Ecija
Woot! Gapan City is this year’s host of the Regional Schools Press Conference (RSPC). RSPC is an annual contest (usually on the first week of December) of campus journalists and school papers who have won and qualified to represent their division. 17 divisions will compete in 14 individual writing contests, radio broadcasting categories and school paper contests.

Every year at the Regionals is a new experience. My first was at Subic, and my second was closer at home, at Angeles City. This year was at Gapan, and my, oh my, experiences had filled me once again.

Gapan made me swallow my first dose of red eggs and tomatoes. I have never eaten them before. That was also my first time to be under attack while I am asleep. Our building is situated near a squatter’s area, and every night, someone will throw on huge rocks to our window or roofs and disrupt our silence. That is a big safety issue.

And there I met Sherwin, who defined a new brand of comedy in my ears. Haha. And I also met Gilbert Teodoro there, (though not actually met, but only seen. Whew. And he is a big man.) I also saw there my first big tornado encounter. That vortex was larger than a human, but not that destructive.

There is also this woman, while Annabeth and I are walking at night in search of food, who was screaming (like for help?) in the middle of the road. The road was empty, no vehicles are passing, when suddenly, she fell like she was unconscious. Some seconds of silence after, her head tilted and faced us, piercingly look at us, stood up and ran away like crazy, though his dress was that of a normal human. Weird?

36. Plurk
This is another website that got me addicted last summer – Plurk, number 36 on my list. Plurk is the 42nd most visited site in the Philippines. It is a portmanteau of “play” and “work” and also serves as an acronym for peace, love, unity, respect, and karma – five things that the Plurk community campaigns on.

Why have I gone addicted to this site? It was on May 2009 when I started plurking, and its tagline is “Your life on the line”. I guess that line got me hooked, and I started plurking everything on my life out there. Events, happy moments, memories, quotes, pictures and some random greetings – everything is literally there! Haha :D besides that, they got a scoring system called Karma, that gains every time you plurk, gain friends or earn responses, and falls down after 24 hours of inactivity. That means that you gotta be active on that site!

Plurk kept me updated on stuffs that I have never thought of getting updated in before. It also introduced me to some of my online buddies, which only one survives in existence until today. Haha. That was like my first Twitter. Haha. Currently, my Plurk is Karma freezed but I cannot update it regularly anymore. Now, my karma is at 86 out of the possible 100. Woot. Nirvana. (they call the karma level 81-100 as Plurk Nirvana. And that’s the main goal of every plurker.)

Next post: Top 35 to 31 :D

[Edited: January 2, 2010]
and "stye" is the English word for "kuliti".. haha. thanks to a guest who PM'd me 10:18am. :D I was not able to reply sorry, for my father was sitting at the computer back then :D.. and it is stye :D

No comments: