December 31, 2009

Top 50 Things That Changed My Life This 2009 (Part II)

The continuation of the long list :D hahaha!

Let us have a recap of the previous entries. haha :D
40. Tumblr
39. Kuliti
38. Backmasking Frenzy
37. Gapan, Nueva Ecija
36. Plurk

35. O2Jam
O2Jam is the first online, full-screen game that I have ever played. Haha :D I saw this game first on our trip when I was a Sophomore at Philippine Science High School, and it was re-introduced to me by Jefran and Claudine around August this year. I love this game, for the music was outstanding. Never have I heard remixes this happy, and O2Jam songs are unique in style. Natal Angel, Brahms, Festival of Ghost and V3, who wouldn’t like these songs?

With O2Jam, I guess my hand speed went faster, as it required my hands to press keys instantly. I guess my mind and body coordination improved with it. The falling bars caused me panic at first, but now, I manage to handle the situation most of the time. My appreciation to music grew more with this, for I was introduced to different genres in playing this game. Woot. And I love classical music because of this (though the songs on O2Jam are more on remixed versions..)

Sad to say, O2Jam Philippines is dead, and I gotta stick to O2Mania for the rest of my life to play this game. It is now one of my favorite pastimes. :D


34. Friendster
Friendster is the ultimate social networking giant in Southeast Asia (that is, without the coming of Facebook). For more than five years, Friendster has dominated the internet scene in the Philippines, and the summer of 2009 had made me addicted to it, earning it the 34th spot.

My profile was self-dubbed as “the longest profile in the world”. After knowing some tweaks, I began pimping my profile like crazy. Haha. It was like everyday I am opening my Friendster account and editing its CSS and Media Box. At one time, my profile got so long because of words and pictures that it will take two minutes before it can fully load. I had my blog there, my videos, my songs – almost my life there. Haha.

I never thought I wasted so much time there, but on the process, I have discovered great sites in website development. Websites that counts your visitors, that can put flash games on your profile and countless other cool sites. My view on website programming has never been this wide.

Moreover, I got addicted to comments, and I received my 1000th comment around April. Wahaha.

33. One Town – One Product
Though this is one of my life’s greatest unreal fantasies, it has still managed to grab the 33rd spot on this list. One Town One Product (or OTOP, as it is known nationwide) is a project of the Department of Trade and Industry that aims for one organization to enhance the product of one town for the benefit of the residents there and at the same time, gaining profit for the company.

Our school, Systems Plus College Foundation, participated in this OTOP, which is also an international contest. This contest aims to pick the best One Town – One Product, and then, the winner will compete in the international stage at Brazil. Well, that is their introduction to us.

That introduction happened one February afternoon, when a college student excused us from our class and brought us to the small building in front of the ILI building. They told us that we’ll go to their host community (some sort of a Sitio ___ situated near Clark) and help in the making of the product, that we will be joining in the selling and business planning of the product, and that we will go to Manila for the introduction of the product to the panelists.

They told us that they need us to introduce the product, and that will be our main role on their team. They also colored our minds with imagination when they told us that if we won, we’ll go on a long vacation trip to Brazil for the international contest. Whoa. And that was heavy for my light mind to comprehend. Haha.

Unfortunately, ten months passed and nothing happened. Haha. The end of the fairy tale for me.

32. Jesus Our Victory Church

Now, this was Christine’s church for the 32nd spot on my list. We are from Ate Jov’s apartment, when Christine asked if we can go to their church. At first, I thought people would not even pay serious attention to it, so I thought that majority will not go. Religion is not that of a big thing inside the classroom (that was back then.)

To my shock, after our Antigone session at Ate Jov’s, all of them followed Christine, and before I knew it, we were crossing MacArthur Hi-Way and walking to their church. It was really awkward entering their church, for it is a new atmosphere for me. As their afternoon fellowship went on, it got more uncomfortable for me when they sang (because I am not used to it). But when their pastor stood up and started saying his preaches, that’s when I realized that what I am in was something right. There was even a mini-stage play.

The church was really happy to see us. They greet every new guests with smiles, claps and handshakes. After the fellowship, we were asked to enter one room, and two men talked to us, along with Christine. They told us that they were from other religions before and their search for truth led them there.

It was my first time to be inside the church of a religion other than Roman Catholicism, and it was an experience of a lifetime. They opened my mind that there are other possibilities in faith, that we shall not be confined to what we were raised to believe. We need to find the way God has chosen us to go into.

31. Pagemaker 2009
This is one of the things that made me very busy this year – the Pagemaker, which stands at number 31 in my chart.. This year, I am the editor-in-chief of the school newspaper, and that is a very heavy responsibility to have. And it is like this year, I typed so many words for the newspaper that if I laid all of them out in a straight line, it will go all the way to Manila. Haha.

From the Divisions to the submission of the newspaper, I am very busy. Starting from the Organization Day of July, (when Ma’am Carbungco asked me to do another impromptu speech in front to explain the benefits of Pagemaker), to the final day of the Regionals on December, waaa.. Pagemaker was one of my top concerns.

Before the Divisions, we are having Wednesday classes in the library. For the first time in my life, I felt that I have the need to organize all these faces that I do not know. Ma’am Carbungco frequently stays at her room for a long time, leaving me all alone to handle things. Chica is the president of the Drum and Lyre, and I could not ask for his help because I know that he is busy there. And I still have the need to chase over Annabeth and Ian, and at the same time, entertaining those waiting students in the library. What a drag. Good thing to note, I gained many friends here. :D

Then, the preparation for the Division goes on. We even had our Saturday seminars, aside from our intensive pull-out. After the division is one of the busiest months of my life T_T – the making of the newspaper. We need to finish the newspaper so that we can qualify for the Regionals. For long nights, I have been typing articles, and for long days, I am asking for people to write articles. I walked inside classrooms to ask for contributions, and I walk back to collect them. I freeze inside the library to think of things to write, sometimes even requiring Saturdays at school and Sundays in front of Microsoft Word. Ultimately, it required me to go to Sir Antonio’s house (and that was my first visit there), answer countless calls from Ma’am Carbungco and Sir Antonio, send stuffs through his e-mail, and cut classes to go to the printing press.

Job well done. Woot.

Up next.. for posting tomorrow :D
Top 30-26 \:D/

No comments: