May 25, 2010

On Taking the First Step

Here goes Kenneth, preparing himself for the biggest change of his life – COLLEGE LIFE. For four years, I’ll be out on a field yet to be discovered, a time full of surprises and a challenge whose ending goes unknown. The prize is a college degree and a lifetime career, put the price is lifestyle change and total independence. I’ll welcome myself to college life.

Life has been an easy cycle for me. Some changes occur, but all of them come sparingly, all of them come in batches in a way that I can still handle. This time, I am off to a change that I can barely imagine – a change so drastic and abrupt that it’ll be one heck of an era before I get along.

But hey, I am taking the first steps onto a new beginning. Fight! Win! Haha!

The synopsis: the blogger here is going to get his Bachelor of Science in Accountancy degree at Colegio de San Juan de Letran in Intramuros, Manila. I’ll be staying up in a dormitory and I’ll be studying there as a full scholar.

Well, these are the 22 changes in my life that I foresee.

1. Appearance and Fashion – new life, new look. I guess :D

2. Being alone – I’ll be living in the dormitory alone and without a family member by my side. I’ll be off independent, a thing that I have not done for more than seven days. I’ll be preparing everything for myself, without the assistance of my loving family. Wahahaha. And take note, not just for seven days, but for four years. The school dorm will be my home for four years, if I’m lucky enough to maintain my grades.

3. Biological clock – this time, it will be fixed. I am used at sleeping on 3am, but upon the reading the dormitory rules, I guess that I can no longer do that for lights shall be out at 10:30pm.

4. Catholic imposition – CSJL, from the name, is a Catholic school, particularly Dominican. With that, it requires its students to have some spiritual recollections, the Catholic way. We are even required to attend the Mass every Sunday, the Catholic way once more. T_T

5. Comfort Room – There is only one comfort room that I am comfortable with, and that is our house’s. You can’t make me excrete at school, even though I am on the brink of explosion. I’d rather be silent amidst cold sweat than to place my butt on a ceramic toilet bowl that is not our house’s.

6. Commuting around – distinguishing one jeepney from another route is never a headache. Here in Angeles, the jeepneys are color-coded, with a two or three word route on its side. However, things on Manila are different. Jeepneys have a novel instead for their route painted on the side, plus a feast of hanged places on their windshield. Read them fast, for the jeepney might already pass you before you’re done reading them.

7. Cuisine – I’ll miss my mother’s dishes, and I’ll miss how Kapampangans make their dish sumptuously unique from others.

8. Dormitory life – I do not know what dormitory life has to offer, but it is sure difficult to adopt. First, new family – my dormmates. I also have a new bed to sleep on, and technically, a new home to go in every after class.

9. Goodbye Online World – yes, I need to bid my farewell to my activeness on Facebook, Plurk and Blogger. My Tumblr will be in the morgue for the meantime too. Haha. Goodbye Happy Island, Restaurant City, Social City, Café World, Hotel City among others. I’ll miss chatting with my mates.

10. Mobile communication adaptation - I hate texting. I dislike pressing three times just for a single character. Chatting is much faster, and I prefer it more than texting, but with the absence of computers upon boarding the dorm, I suppose I have to have my cellphone. T_T

11. More pressure – I am maintaining a bigger scholarship (in terms of the subsidy) with a much bigger risk. If I fail to maintain my grades, I’ll be forced to pay that hefty tuition of P1,000 per unit yearly (not to mention the equally punishing miscellaneous fees.)

12. New landmarks – Salakot, Diamond Park, SM Clark, Nepo will be a thing of my past. Now, some field trip destinations are one commute away.

13. New school – I need to adapt to a new school. Of course, new school rules, new events, new traditions, new school uniform , new faculty members, new requirements, new classrooms, new canteens and new name to build (if I can). Anyways, the new distance won’t be a problem because I am, in effect, living there.

14. Personality – I don’t know, but I have fears that the IV-Ampere, ACCYF, III-Gold, Clark family that I have been so used to is highly different to the people that I am going to mingle with fr four years. I don’t know if they can make me smile the way those people do. New people to read, new friendships to build. My progress will surely be slow.

15. Physical education – after two years of being exempted in Physical Education, I’ll be out again in my rubber shoes for some warm up. For the first semester, I have gymnastics. I’m worrying on the outcome of it. Haha.

16. Pollution – I hail from the grassy meadows of Clark Air Base, Pampanga, and being on a concrete jungle such as Manila makes me wanna gasp for more oxygen for one last time here at my hometown.

17. Riding jeepneys – I’m used at riding gentle jeepneys – those who would calmly wait until you sit, without the urban rush of trying to chase jeepneys at 40mph and leaping for them risking your life. Here in Angeles, people pick jeepneys, but there, jeepneys pick passengers.

18. Security alert – Not only is Manila famous for progress, but it is also infamous for crimes. If I am awfully clumsy and careless on Angeles, how much more am I prone to thieves, hostage takers and other villains in the crowded streets of Manila?!

19. Seven-Eleven! – a 7-11 branch is just one street away. I am warning myself, I might get addicted there.

20. SM City Manila! – and that is my new SM there. It is a reasonably long walk away and I can get there easily on weekends. One thing, I’m gonna be there with new people, not with the old people I am used to be with T_T and it is much much more crowded than SM Clark.

21. Study habits – part of Letran’s requirement on their scholars is a four-hour library session daily, Monday to Saturday. They want us to study, and we will be forced to do so. It seems like I joined a Book Club. Now, I got no free time to do what I want, just a little spare on weekends.

22. Weather – if it is hot in the windy countryside of Clark, how much hotter will the urban jungle of Manila be? Burning, toasting and melting.

What else to expect? A lot. Good luck to me. T___________T I miss the people, the places, the memories, the tradition, the habits and the life that I’ll be forced to leave.

No comments: